Ribbity Blog

baqqa mqarqra
A Frog's-eye view

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, May 04, 2003
 
HE'S GONE!

During the last election campaign, there was quite an uproar when the Labour mayor of an Israeli town - I can't remember which - came to greet a Likud party meeting, and wished success to Ariel Sharon. "Treason!" cried Mitzna's followers.

Although I cannot at the moment recall the mayor's name or is city, I recall his face very well, particularly from an impassioned speech he made on the television, wherein he implied that he actually supported Sharon because Sharon represented what the Labour party had once been. "Listen," he said to the reporter, "I've been a member of the Labour party since 1952, and I will be a member of the Labour party long after that lot" - Mitzna's people - "have gone off to the left to join Sarid".

Today, I wish I could remember his name, and locate some of his interviews, because Sarid has now stood down as Meretz leader, and Mizna has followed suit. It won't be long before Dr. Yossi Beilin joins them in the New Far Left Party, and before Labour joins the National Unity government. Mitzna apparently couldn't swallow his pride in the face of what was happening. Oh, and the Labour party are going to lose Haifa in the municipal elections.





Comments: Post a Comment